Life Changes: Modification of a Divorce Order

Posted on

Husband and Wife in a fightAfter receiving a divorce order, you can still modify the decree to cope with new life changes. You can do so by filing a petition to amend the order and modify stated rights and obligations. If you want to change the prior decree, you have to demonstrate a continuing or significant change of circumstances. These may be substantial income changes or house relocation.

Every state has different rules and procedures for modifying a divorce decree. Family law attorneys in Colorado Springs suggest consulting a legal professional to examine your case and protect your rights.

Child Support Modification

A modification may be allowed if there are considerable changes in the needs of the child or earning ability of the parent. This may result in a rise or fall of the total child support payments. You can modify the child support order whether you are the receiving or the paying parent. The modification can be temporary or permanent depending on the circumstances.

Alimony Modification

A spousal support can be modified in terms of amount or duration of payments. Again, there should be considerable changes in circumstances, such as illness, disability, unemployment, or a big financial setback. Alimony can be terminated if the receiving spouse is cohabiting with another person and living as husband and wife. The same is also true for if the other party remarries.

Read this post:   The 6-Step Guide to the Conveyancing Process

Child Custody Modification

This is for changing the provisions of a custody agreement. The judge will only grant a custody modification if it supports the best interest of the child. The court may modify the agreement if the custodial parent’s living arrangement is unstable or chaotic. This may mean frequent relocation, alcohol or drug abuse, the unpredictability of working hours, and failure to make visitation arrangement with the other party.

Whether you want to modify a child support, custody, and alimony order, it is best to see a family lawyer for a case review. You will also need to follow the procedures and laws in your state when filing a petition.